Federal Electoral Regulations (BWO)
In accordance with Section 52 of the Federal Elections Act, the Federal Ministry of the Interior and Community has issued Federal Electoral Regulations for its implementation which specify the provisions of the Federal Elections Act. The Federal Electoral Regulations contain provisions governing the appointment and the work of the electoral bodies, the various conditions which have to be met for a person to be included in a voters’ register, the admission of nominations and the postal ballot.
It is subdivided into six parts:
- electoral bodies (Sections 1 to 11)
- preparation of the election (Sections 12 to 48)
- the poll (Sections 49 to 66)
- ascertainment and declaration of election results (Sections 67 to 81)
- by-election, repeat election, appointment of successors from the lists (Sections 82 to 84)
- interim and concluding provisions (Sections 85 to 93)
The Annex to the Federal Electoral Regulations contains samples of all official forms, nominations and ballot papers mentioned in the Federal Electoral Regulations.
Please find the Federal Electoral Regulations complete with the Annex as a pdf file for download on our website.
The relevant Federal Law Gazette is available from the Bundesanzeiger Verlagsgesellschaft. The address is:
Bundesanzeiger Verlagsgesellschaft m.b.H.
Amsterdamer Straße 192
tel: +49 221 97668200
fax: +49 221 97668115
Last update: 3 January 2022